Coffee is loaded with antioxidants which are essential to hair growth. Not only do these antioxidants produce hair growth, but they also help maintain your hair and scalp health by preventing hair loss and protecting your hair from damage. Coffee also contains nutrients that thicken and increase the reproduction of hair follicles. As a result, you can find coffee being commonly used in hair loss treatments.
A study conducted by Dr. Tobias Fischer, a researcher from Germany’s University of Jena, also found a correlation between caffeine and rapid hair growth. In the study, the control group treated with coffee saw the quickest growth, and significantly increased the length of the hairs from 33 to 40 per cent.
Now that you know the benefits of coffee for your hair, you can incorporate it into your beauty regimen. Here are recipes on how you can make your own coffee scalp scrub and body treatment.
Vanilla Latte Sugar Scrub
Wellness Mama uses this scrub to stimulate and exfoliate her skin:
- 1/4 cup finely ground dry coffee
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons castor oil
- 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1. Place the coffee and sugar in a medium size bowl.
2. Add the vanilla and mix well.
3. Add the oils and stir with a fork or the back of a spoon until well mixed and moistened.
4. Store in an air-tight container and use as desired for soft skin. Especially good on legs for helping with cellulite.
Coffee Grounds Beauty Exfoliator
Chasing Green lists this as one of the many ways to use up your coffee grounds:
- quarter cup of ground coffee
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Mix the coffee grounds with an egg white for an at-home skin-tightening mask or add 1 tablespoon of olive oil for a body treatment.
2. Massage your face with coffee grounds for an exfoliating scrub or to other problem areas for a deep treatment massage.