So you think that what you eat only impacts your body weight?
You are right, but not completely.
You see, what you eat impacts your entire body, including your skin and hair health. Normally, we concentrate on eating foods that can contribute to weight loss, or maintain our weight. However, we should pay equal attention to foods that provide the required nutrients for our skin and hair as well. Here are some recipes that will help you have long and strong hair.
Normally, when we hear about broccoli, we quickly think of salad or stir fried broccoli. What if there were other equally mouthwatering recipes of broccoli? What if you could make soup with broccoli? It’s easy! To make broccoli soup, you will need:
3 cups of Broccoli, chopped
1 potato, finely chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
½ a capsicum or bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon pepper powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
2-3 tablespoons of fresh cream
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 sprig of cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon of flour
3 cups of water or chicken stock or vegetable stock
Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pot and sauté the onions, garlic, capsicum, potatoes, cilantro, and broccoli.
- Next, add the flour and continue frying for another few minutes.
- Pour one cup of water or vegetable stock into the pot and let it cook for around 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the broth to cool.
- Next, blend it using a food processor. Return the puree to the soup pot and add the remaining vegetable stock to it. Let it heat up while you add the spices and continue stirring.
- Once the soup achieves a consistency of your liking, add the fresh cream and turn off the heat.
Your broccoli soup is ready. Broccoli is a rich source of an enzyme called indole. This enzyme converts into diindolylmethane or DIM during digestion that is connected to reversing male pattern baldness. It also contains vitamin C that is known to promote collagen secretion, strengthening blood capillaries and maintains blood circulation to hair shafts.
Mashed Yam and Apples
Most people get confused between yams and sweet potatoes. The most common variant is the red skinned sweet potato that is orange-red on the inside. Yams are a different variant of sweet potatoes, they are commonly white on the inside and have a brownish peel, or there are also purple sweet yams. To make this recipe, you will need:
2 pounds of yam, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1-8 ounces of Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored into 1-inch pieces
1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ tablespoon allspice
2 tablespoons of butter
Salt and pepper to season
- Boil the yam in a pot of salted water for about 20 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Next, add the apples and continue boiling for another 5 minutes. Take it off the heat and set it aside to cool.
- Drain the water, and place the yam and apples on a baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Bake for around 10 minutes or until they are slightly dry.
- Allow the yam and apples to cool down. Then, blend them in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the butter and the spice and keep blending until the butter dissolves.
- Lastly, season it with salt and pepper. You can put it in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
Whenever you want some comfort food, transfer the mix to a medium sized saucepan and put it on medium heat. Keep stirring until warm, and serve it with an extra sprinkle of pepper. Yams are replete with iron that is essential for hair growth. They are also rich sources of vitamin B6 that prevent premature graying of hair.
To sum it up
It is important to maintain a balanced diet of adequate carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber to maintain all your bodily functions and contribute to holistic health. However, diet alone isn’t sufficient. You have to exercise to achieve the best results.
Do you have any healthy hair recipes?
Drop a comment below and on the NC Facebook page!