If you have been experiencing a lot of breakage lately or are trying to recover from heat damage, try this DIY protein treatment. It contains a special ingredient called Hydrolyzed Protein which coats the hair shaft and repairs damage on the outer layers. Hydrolyzed protein is also the main ingredient in the ApHogee Protein Treatment, so this is my homemade version. Although this treatment was shared with naturally curly heads in mind, it is beneficial to all hair types!
If you're looking to repair your curls, improve your hair health or rebuild elasticity, this recipe is for you. Do this once every other month, and always deep condition after your treatment.
What you'll need
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin - I use Knox brand
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar - I use Bragg
- deep conditioner - I use SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
- *optional - applicator bottle & wide tooth comb
- In a bowl mix 1 packet of unflavored gelatin with 1 cup of hot water. Mix well until the gelatin has dissolved.
- Add the teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and continue to mix.
- Store the mixture in the fridge. If you're using an applicator bottle, pour it into the bottle before storing in the fridge.
- Wash your hair while the mixture is cooling in the fridge.
- Then apply the treatment evenly to your freshly washed hair in sections (I do 4 sections). Once it's applied the hair is going to become stiff, so work quickly.
- Comb through the hair with your wide tooth comb if you want to make sure it is evenly coated, and then don't touch the hair. Repeat with all 4 sections.
- Leave the treatment for 10 minutes or in until it has dried and hardened. You can use a diffuser or hooded dryer to aid in the drying process.
- Rinse the hair, wait until the hair has softened from water and then gently massage the treatment out of your hair with your fingers.
- Apply your favorite deep conditioner, this is an important step so don't skip this.