Touted as a true superfood, pomegranate has a number of natural health and beauty enhancing properties. This had made it the go-to fruit of choice for those living a natural lifestyle on a budget. The great thing about pomegranate is that it's available in the produce section of your grocery store, no matter where you live in the world.
Health benefits of pomegranate
According to research by the University of Edinburgh, pomegranate juice lowers the amount of fatty acid in the blood known as nonesterified, or NEFA. Previous studies in humans and animals have showed high NEFA levels being linked to heart disease, Type II Diabetes, and unwanted belly fat. It is also effective in lowering blood pressure, boosting testosterone and sex drive levels, and strengthen your heart function.
Beauty benefits of pomegranate
Pomegranate peels hydrates and protects your scalp and skin from pollutants in the environment. Its natural UVA and UVB ray-blocking agents prevent aging in hair and skin, keeping your face tight and elastic and your hair shiny and soft. Pomegranate also has pH balancing properties, which makes it a wonderful clarifier to deeply rid the pores of dirt build-up. It also contains ellagic acid, a natural moisture sealant which keeps skin feeling soft throughout the day. Pomegranate contains a great amount of antioxidants to stimulate the scalp, encouraging proper hair growth.
How much pomegranate should you consume?
Drink 500ml of pomegranate juice each day for four consecutive weeks to reap the health and beauty benefits.
DIY exfoliating pomegranate paste
Roast a handful of sun-dried pomegranate peels in a sauce pan for a few minutes. Take them off the heat, grind or grate them into a fine powder, and add to a mix of equal parts lemon juice and rose water. Stir in the powder until it becomes a pasty consistency. Apply it to a freshly washed, dry face and scalp and let it sit for about ten minutes. Rinse the paste off with lukewarm water and apply a soothing moisturizer after.
Make your own pomegranate juicePrep time: a few minutes.
1. Cut open the pomegranate, remove the seeds, and place them into a bowl filled with room temperature water.
2. Let the seeds sink to the bottom as the white membrane floats to the top of the water. Strain, leaving only the seeds.
3. Blend the seeds and pour the mixture into a cup.Results: your juice will be tart, dark, and highly concentrated--the ultimate superfood. Add water to dilute the bittersweet taste.
Pomegranate hair & skin products
No need to DIY when you can purchase these at your local grocery and natural foods store.
- Ouidad Superfruit Renewal Clarifying Cream Shampoo, $26
- Weleda Pomegranate Regenerating Body Oil, $26
- Alikay Naturals Wake Me Up Curl Refresher, $13
- Bouclème Curl Cleanser, £15.00
Is superfood pomegranate part of your daily diet & beauty routine?