On Saturday June 2nd, hundreds of curlies from all over the East Coast flocked to Orlando, FL for an afternoon of pool-tastic, curl-centric fun at the 2nd Annual Curly Pool Party. The Omni Hotel and Resort's formal pool was transformed into a colorful and luxuriant afternoon soiree filled with swimming, styling demonstrations and sipping on Pina Curladas. Sponsoring brands Shea Moisture, Ouidad, Amika and UR Curly each set up shop in their own private cabanas where attendees received fun summer hairstyles and learned how to care for their curls during the warmer months.
"It's so hard to deal with my curls in this humidity and I never know how to protect them when I go swimming," exclaimed one attendee who drove in from Tampa, "But after coming here, I'm ready for summer! Bring on the water AND the heat!"
Attendees received goodie bags jam packed with samples from Amika, Ouidad, Shea Moisture and UR Curly, while a lucky few won giveaways by "Getting Social" and posting photos to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using the event hashtag #curlypool.
Very Important Curlies
NaturallyCurly also hosted five lucky VICs (Very Important Curlies) to the event, who were welcomed by a colorful giftbag filled with hundreds of dollars worth of products and free styling tools waiting in their private cabana before they were whisked off to have their before headshot taken. Each one of the VICs was then taken to a brand for a special styling sessions catered to their unique curl type. Our 2b VIC received a sophisticated and swept back updo from Ouidad, while our 3c who arrived with a blow out was styled into big fluffy curls by Amika's stylists using a clipless iron. UR Curly's intricate twists and braids complemented the tighter curls of our 4b and 4c VICs, who will be able to wear their styles for up to two weeks! "I've never seen my hair so shiny and well-styled before," said Shaniqua, one of our VICs as she jumped out of the pool, "This has been such a fun experience!" Stay tuned for a post on the before and after styling makeovers of all our Very Important Curlies!
For those that couldn't make the event, here are some of our favorite snaps from the event:
The Ouidad crew looking summery and gorgeous in their matching skirts and curls
Hospitality Team member Stephanie watches over the goodie bags.
NaturallyCurly's own Michelle and Cassidy in pool blue and bright sunnies!
Attendees check out Shea Moistures body scrub sampling station
Sherica of the Shatter Proof Glass Dolls dips her toes in the water.
Bikini-clad guests on their way to the pool
UR Curly stylist does a row of cornrows on one of the VICs
Amika stylist uses a clipless curling wand to creat loose summer waves
Attendee poses in the pool
Pool volley ball fun!
Love this wide brimmed hat with loc opening
Little curlies reaching for the beach balls
Top Five Summer Tips
All attendees of the Curly Pool Party took home a fantastic goodie bag filled with products from Amika, Shea Moisture, Ouidad and UR Curly as well as a tip sheet with our top tips for summertime curl care.
- Condition Before You Swim: Before getting in the pool, thoroughly wet your hair and apply a conditioner to all your curls. Your hair will absorb less of the drying chlorine or salt water and more of the nourishing conditioner while you swim, making it easier to cleanse, detangle and style once you’re finished.
- UV Protect Those Curls: Hair can’t get sunburned, but the elements can cause damage, especially to color or chemically treated hair. To help protect your curls from damaging UV rays, spritz on a leave-in conditioner before heading outdoors.
- Bye-Bye Build Up: Chlorine from the pool dehydrates and creates build-up on the hair. Use a clarifying shampoo after a dip in the pool to remove chlorine and excess product build up and make your hair more manageable.
- Deep condition in the sun: Slick your hair with a conditioner or deep treatment when you’re out at the beach or poolside,. This will help the sun to condition, rather than damage, your hair.
- Cut Down on Shampooing: Don’t wash your hair every day; cleanse it twice a week, at the most. Try co-washing, using a cleansing conditioner, or a sulfate-free shampoo to keep hair fresh without stripping it of essential natural oils.
Get Social and See More
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter (@naturallycurly) to see the #curlypool pics and check out our full Facebook gallery of photos. Stay tuned for special features on our Very Important Curlies!