But drinking coffee won't do the job.
Suffering from way too much shedding?
Many have heard of tea rinsing as a solution for excessive hair shedding, but a less popular and even more effective rinse can be done with coffee.
What is DHT?
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a naturally occurring metabolite of the testosterone hormone made by the body. Both men and women have testosterone. A man's body makes much more testosterone than a woman's body.
How does DHT affect us?
DHT is a key element of male pattern baldness, alopecia and other significant hair loss. It shortens the life cycle of our hair.
The hair has 3 phases in the growth cycle. They are
- anagen (growth phase)
- catagen (transisiton phase)
- telogen (resting phase)
The time the hair spends in each phase varies from person to person. The variation is largely impacted by heredity and illnesses. The normal time span spent in each phase is generally: 2-6 years for anagen, 1-2 weeks for catagen and 5-6 weeks for telogen. It will just repeat from there.
DHT stunts the anagen phase and extends the telogen phase. Over time the follicles become smaller, and the hair grows in shorter with a finer texture. This accelerates your hair loss.
What does this have to do with coffee?
Coffee is wonderful for greatly reducing the effects of DHT. Caffeine aids in blocking DHT. Coffee has a significantly larger amount of caffeine than most teas. This makes it a much more successful rinse for hair loss reduction.
Will it work better if I drink the coffee instead?
No. Drinking coffee and using it externally are totally different. Applying it topically is the best method for optimal results.
Benefits of coffee for shedding
- Provides a nice shine to the hair.
- Stimulates the follicles.
- Blocks DHT.
- Greatly reduces shedding.
- Enriches brown to black colored hair (natural or dyed).
*Note: If your hair is light in color do not do this rinse. It can darken your hair.
Conditioning Coffee Rinse
What you'll need
- 1 large deep plastic bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1/4 cup of ground caffeinated coffee (not instant)
- 3 cups of distilled water
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite herb (optional)
- Brew your coffee as normal. Allow it to cool.
- Pre-poo and cleanse your hair.
- Place the large bowl in the sink. I find it easier to do this way. Can be done in the shower as well.
- Pour the cooled coffee over your hair, while leaning over the deum size bowl in the sink. This will catch the run off. Massage your scalp. Repeat this step several times.
- Gently squeeze the hair. Wrap a towel around your hair.
- Allow the coffee to penetrate your hair and scalp for 5-10 mins then rinse.
- Deep condition with your favorite moisturizing conditioner.
This is not something that would need to be a regular part of your regimen. Using it on an as-needed basis has been best for me.
This article was written by Emilia Obiekea of Adore Botanicals, LLC and published on CurlyNikki.