“Edgy” is a broad, ambiguous term that is thrown around a lot by fashionistas and designers alike. The definition has become muddled as more and more people use it, but at its core it simply means “pushing the envelope.” There can be edgy art, edgy film, and even edgy literature. Edgy fashion can be described as alternative, exotic, theatrical or dark. But I’m not interested in wearing larger than life shoulder pads or cotton candy hair dos. I’m interested in an edgy style that can be worn walking down the street, not the runway. Here are some tips for getting an “edgy” look that you can sport for a night on the town.
Exaggerate the Volume
There are several ways to achieve voluminous hair, but for this style, we want to really exaggerate the level of volume. Remember, edgy means pushing the envelope, so take whatever level of volume you’re comfortable with and raise it just a bit. When combined with a sleek outfit, big hair can be quite sexy. Here’s how you can get a sexy, full head of hair:
- After washing and conditioning your hair, spray root lifter onto the roots of your hair and comb it through the crown of your head.
- Apply your favorite product and diffuse your hair until it is about 50 percent dry.
- With your hair still damp, turn your head upside down and blow dry your hair without the diffuser until it's completely dry. This will give you volume on the sides of your face, not the top of your head.
- To get volume on the top, section your hair into two layers: top and bottom. Clip a small portion of the top aside. Back brush the bottom layer, brushing from the middle of your hair to the top of your head.
- Use a curling iron to wrap random pieces of hair all over.
- Mist on a hair spray or lightly apply mousse; you don’t want to weigh it down with heavy spray or gel.
Design Addict Mom has the perfect example of how a big, textured head of hair can be daring and sexy.
See The Makeup for this look on the next page...
Read More: How to do a Curlformers Mini Makeover
Dark and Dramatic
For this look, you want to aim for something dark and striking. It doesn’t necessarily have to be black; you can create a smokey look using any color of eye shadow. All you need is a dark color as your base. It can be dark green, purple, blue, or even burgundy.
- Take a light, cream colored shadow and apply it over your lids up to your brow.
- Use the main color, preferably a dark, shimmery one, and blend it from the lash line across the eye lid.
- Color from the corner of your eye to the outer edge of your eye, making a half moon shape. Be sure to blend your shadow well so that it makes a smooth transition.
- Apply a light layer of this same color to the bottom of your eyes.
- Apply black eye liner as you normally would, smudging the bottom.
- Apply a thick, black mascara to your lashes.
To complete this makeup look, you must use light neutral colors on your face to create contrast. Use nude lip gloss and light blush. You want to direct attention to your eyes, not your lips.
See The Outfit for this look on the next page...
Read More: End of Summer Hair Makeover
Remember, an edgy style incorporates elements of fashion that you’re slightly uncomfortable with. For a fun night out on the town, be daring. Wear something you usually wouldn’t wear, not because it’s tacky, but because it’s bold. Have a top that’s a little sexier than you’re used to? Wear it! Here are some tips for arranging an edgy outfit:
- Mix up patterns and textures: try combining a leopard skirt with a lacy top
- Leather leggings: very bold, and quite forgotten, leather is a great material that always looks good and stands out
- High boots: boots are the most classic shoes worn with an edgy outfit — the higher, the more dramatic
- Booties: booties are the more modern, alternative to high boots. Try pairing these with lacy tights for a really sexy look
- Black pencil skirts: they go great with everything, and will create a contrast to your big hair
For more inspiration, visit Edgyness.blogspot.com! This blog post has great examples of edgy cocktail dresses that can be worn off the runway.
Read More: 2012 Fall Fashion Week Trends
How would you give yourself an edgy makeover?