Got milk... for natural hair? photo: iStock | PeopleImages
There are a lot of homemade beauty concoctions worth trying thanks to the healing properties found in nature. While drinking milk is proven to give you strong bones thanks to the calcium, there may also be unique benefits to applying it to your hair as well. A popular choice is to wash your hair with milk. If you have some reservations about this, you are not alone. Let's take a closer look at this to help you decide if a milk shampoo or rinse treatment is worth it for your curls.
What makes milk worth a try?
It is no secret that milk is loaded with all sorts of healthy stuff. Milk has calcium, protein, omega fatty acids, and essential vitamins such as A and D. While drinking milk has certain benefits for your body, applying it to your hair can help hair with hydration, moisture and nourishment as well as helping the scalp by supplying important vitamins.
Can I wash my natural hair with milk?
Yes, however, there are a few things to consider. If you are using whole milk, keep in mind that it naturally weighs down hair and has somewhat of a straightening effect. If you are looking for a milk wash without this effect, a better bet would be to try low-fat milk or coconut milk. It is also important to note that milk is much better as a deep conditioner. It works more as a moisturizer for your curls. Check out the video below for a tutorial on how you can use it as a deep conditioner, even for those that are protein sensitive.
Should I use products with milk in them?
Yes! In fact, this may be a better alternative than using store bought milk in your hair since it is expertly combined with other ingredients for the best result. Best of all, these milk products will last longer than a regular jug of milk! You should also keep in mind, milk doesn't have to just be dairy milk. You can get a lot of benefits from coconut milk as well which is also high in nutrients and hydrating properties. Here are a few good ones using the powers of milk for curls:
- Curls Blueberry & Coconut Hair Milk uses organic Coconut Milk and blueberry extract guaranteed to moisturize even the driest curls, condition overworked hair and encourage hair growth.
- Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Flaxseed Recipes Half & Half Hydrating Silkening Hair Milk is formulated with nourishing Coconut Milk, Avocado and Marshmallow roots that are great for not only moisturizing your curls but softening and detangling.
- OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo is infused with Coconut milk, whipped egg proteins and Coconut Oils help strengthen and hydrate your hair leaving it soft and shiny.
- Alikay Naturals Caribbean Coconut Milk Conditioner offers a special blend of natural ingredients including Coconut Milk which helps prevents hair breakage, split ends and hair loss.
- SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Leave-in Detangler is formulated with Coconut and Shea Oils, Coconut Milk and Acacia Senegal help to control frizz, detangle and act as a heat protectant.
Have you used a DIY hair milk or used products with milk on your natural hair? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.