We’ve all had the experience of getting our hair done in the salon by a stylist who has a magical ability to create shiny, defined, voluminous ringlets. But when we get home, we can’t replicate the look, no matter how hard we try.
The key is to have the right products and techniques in your toolbox. We asked Ouidad Master Artistic educator Chadwick Pendley, a recognized expert when it comes to the art of creating beautiful curls, to share his tried-and-true styling tips.
- Styling Starts in the Shower: Always use a moisturizing conditioner. Massage Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Defrizzing Conditioner, massaging it into every strand to penetrate the hair shaft.
- Prime your curls: Immediately out of the shower – or even while you’re still in the shower – apply Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Detangling Spray to the mid shaft and ends, massaging it in with a downward smoothing motion. This helps to retain the moisture in your hair and prepares it for better styling application. Think about it like applying a skin-care primer for better, more even make-up application.
- Apply Product Evenly: Start applying your styling product while your hair is dripping wet. Section your hair to ensure you are distributing it evenly with a downward, smoothing motion, working it all the way from the roots to the tips of your curls. This will also help to close the cuticle. When the cuticle is closed curls behave perfectly. Pendley recommends Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Featherlight Styling Cream, which creates frizz-free curls that are soft and touchable. “My clients refer to their curls as ‘naked’ when using this product,” Pendley says. “It feels as if nothing is in the hair, yet they behave perfectly every time. It’s a definite ‘go to’ for modern looks.”
- Cut Back on Wash Days: Frequent shampooing can stress and dry out curls. Instead, freshen up your tresses with Ouidad Stylutions Clean Sweep Moisturizing Dry Shampoo. It’s perfectly formulated to keep your curls fresh and polished throughout the week. Not only will it help absorb oil, dirt and perspiration, it also promotes a healthy scalp. It doesn’t dry out curls or leave a residue.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate: Curls can become dry and parched, which can turn curls into frizz. Ouidad Stylutions Revive & Shine Rejuvenating Dry Oil Mist lightly moisturizes your curls, creating beautiful, shiny curls that command attention. I recommend using it daily - if not twice a day - depending on your curls’ needs. It won’t weigh down your hair. Every curly should have a can of Ouidad Stylutions Revive & Shine Rejuvenating Dry Oil Mist in her hand bag!
- Bigger is Better: Today’s hottest curly looks are full and voluminous. To pump up the volume, spray on Ouidad Stylutions Going Up! Volumizing Spray, massaging it into the roots and mid shaft “Watch your curls open and expand like never before!” Pendley says. “This is my go-to- product right now in the salon, on set and anywhere else I’m styling curls.” Ouidad Stylutions Going Up! Volumizing Texture Spray also helps refresh curls throughout the week between wash days, without drying out your curls.
About Chadwick Pendley: With more than a decade as a Ouidad Certified Stylist, Pendley trained at the Manhattan flagship salon with founder and with renowned stylist Ouidad herself. Today, in his role as Master Artistic Educator, he trains, inspires, and educates other stylists and is co-owner of the flagship salon, Ouidad by Chadwick and Igor, in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.