Curlies are always looking for ways to alter their curl pattern for looser curls that last for days - without the use of straightening tools or harmful treatments.
You know your hair best, what it needs more of and what it needs less of. Stretching your curls allows them to hold moisture for longer amounts of time too, so the effort you put in will be worth it for days to come!
How to Stretch Your Curls
Step 1: Wash It
- To start, wash your hair as normal
- Comb through your wet hair in the shower and apply product to it while in the shower
- Add a product that emulsifies hair like a pudding or creme/lotion (Miss Jessies Curly Pudding, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance or Curly Hair Solutions Extenzz) to wet hair, using a little more than you normally would
- Try not to “mess” hair too much when applying the product - keep it as “flat” to your scalp as possible
- Divide your wet hair (with product) into sections and begin to twist each section from top to ends.
- Add a duckbill clip at the end of each section (make them smaller for shorter hair and larger for longer hair)
- If the clips don’t stay, try a smooth elastic to wrap at the end of each section instead
Step 3: Dry ItThe best and healthiest llow your sections to air dry, or , use a diffuser if you have less time.
Step 4: Release It
- When your hair is dry , release the clips or bands from each section
- Gently shake each section with your hands/fingers
- Style as usual
- You can opt to add a light hair spray or pomade for added shine , or an extra day, when wearing your curls a bit loser
This routine will create smoother, looser curls that you can wear for 2-3 days.