1. Condition & DetangleMonica uses Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo & Conditioner for its penetrating, moisture balancing properties.
2. Deep Condition
Clip hair up, cover with a plastic cap, and use a deep conditioning cap like these from Hot Head.
3. Prep hair for rollingAfter 20 minutes, rinse out your conditioner with cold hair. Use ApHogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer. Next, apply Aveda Smooth Infusion Style Prep serum for heat protection. Lastly, use Jane Carter Solution Wrap & Roll for moisture, shine, and weightless hold. Section hair off and clip up to make it easier to roll.
4. Begin the rolling processWrap ends around the rod, and firmly roll. Secure the rod by pulling the cap on the opposite side in which it was rolled. In the front of your hair, angle the rods forward so that the curls will fluff in that direction. Use a range of rod sizes to help with volume and give your hair a more natural appearance. Monica used these 3 sizes to achieve her looks: 3/4", 1 3/16", and 1" in diameter.
5. Dry hairOnce all rods are installed, use a soft hood dryer like this one by HairFlair.
6. SeparateRemove all rods, then separate the curls with your fingers. Monica makes sure to drag fingers all the way to the ends of her hair to keep frizz at a minimum. You may also use a pick to fluff and separate. Use a silk oil like Chi Deep Brilliance to help with UV damage by the sun (ideal for summer months).
Watch the Video
The total time for this time was about 2 hours and 45 minutes. Monica shows us 3 ways to jazz this look up for a special occasion. To get full details, watch her video now.