Ever found yourself in need of a major hair removing makeover, but without the time to make a trip to the beauty bar? It’s okay, you can be your own hero because there’s a very simple recipe that can save you in cases like these.
Halawah was invented by the Egyptians back in the day, gaining popularity across the world, and is widely used in Saudi Arabia, too! It’s made up of key natural ingredients and is evidently very effective. All you need to do is master the skill of using it along the direction of hair growth and soon you will know how to tackle stubborn hair.
JeddahBeauty.com gives us this fun, beautifully homemade way of removing unwanted hair.
What You'll Need
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 10ml)
- Metal saucepan
- Take the metal saucepan and pour the sugar in, heating it on low flame. Let the sugar melt.
- Add lemon juice and stir. When the mixture turns slightly brown, add the water and let it boil.
- Once it starts boiling, lower the flame and observe the color change to a darker brown.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- While it lets off heat, take a spoon and check its consistency: it should be hard enough to spread and sticky enough to pull. Try your finger first.
This kind of wax is used with your fingers, not wax strips. If you’d like to make the wax that requires wax strips, follow the same procedure, however, instead of adding 2 tablespoons of water, add 3, and remove from heat before it turns a dark shade of brown. If it seems thick, just add some water on low heat. Let it cool slightly and apply on your skin hot, but don’t burn yourself and strip away!
For best results, have someone do it for you and then return the favor!
For more curly mixology recipes, or to share your own favorite at-home treatments, go to our Recipes section.