If you actually got to be in NYC for Fashion Week, you might have gotten giddy seeing all the runway-worthy curly hairstyles you wanted to try when you got back. But how to recreate them?
Lulu Frost and "Let’s Bring Back" are two brands that crossed paths for a collection that celebrates the iconic style of three muses. In the Spring/Summer 2013 collection presentation, Jessie James of the Marie Robinson salon captured the essence of three women through bold, timelessly elegant hair styling: Belle Epoque heiress The Marchesa Casati; Jazz Age activist Nancy Cunard; and Elsa Schiaparelli, the famously irreverent mid-century Surrealist designer.
Now, we give you a behind the scenes, step by step tutorial on how he achieved the three haute curly hairstyles!
The Marchesa Casati
- Prep the hair by spraying Oribe Maximista Thickening Spray throughout the root area, and use a dime size amount of Oribe Gel Serum through mid-shaft and ends. Roughly blow dry product in and smooth.
- Do some light back coming at the roots throughout, and part the hair on side of choice .
- Set the whole head with a 1 and 1/4 inch iron starting at the part — three curls upwards and 3 curls downward on the side with most of the hair.
- On the opposite side, do three curls facing down and secure the set curls with pins.
- In the back repeat the process starting at the top of the crown working your way down and brick lay curls. One row up one row down and so on until you reach the bottom. Secure with pins and spray with Oribe Superfine Hairspray.
- Remove clips and use a Mason Pearson brush to gently brush out curls and arrange in a soft pattern. Finish again with hairspray for a soft beautiful curl.
See the the Nancy Cunard inspired style on the next page...
Read More: 2012 Fall Fashion Week Trends
- Wet all hair down with a spray bottle and saturate all hair roots to ends using Mizani Setting Gel
- Part hair on side of choice. Using a fine tooth comb starting at top of the crown and comb all hair towards the forehead next to the part. With two fingers, press down on the section flat to head while combing the next section back up towards top of head. Repeat this process all the way around the head.
- Use finger wave/pin curl clips to hold waves in place. Any long ends can be swirled into pin curls around ears and secured with bobby pins.
- Use a diffuser to secure and dry look into place. Remove all the clips once the look is dry for a solid 1920s flapper look.
See the the Elsa Schiaparelli inspired style on the next page...
Read More: Kala Garner: A Naturalista in New York
- Set whole head with Oribe Maximista Thickening Spray and Oribe Gel Serum and roughly blow dry.
- Part hair down the middle and directly down the back of head. Secure one side out of the way with a large clip.
- Starting at the bottom of the nape working your way up to the top taking 1/2 inch sections and wrap them around iron until hot, release and let fall. All curls should be wrapped around the iron towards the face the whole way up. Complete these steps exactly the same on the other side.
- Holding onto the very end of each curl push up on most of the curl while gently frizzing each curl all the way up the the root.
- Finish by teasing wherever needed and spraying Oribe Superfine Hairspray to hold.
Read More: The Art of Styling Old Hair