Later sunrises, cooler mornings, and that oh-so-enticing snooze button can make washing your hair before breakfast a struggle. You can either leave your house with wet hair, or be late because you have to diffuse. While we all prefer to wash our hair any other time than on a rushed weekday morning, that doesn’t always work out. The tips below will help you speed up your hair’s drying time without cranking up the heat on your hairdryer.
- Consider a cut for the colder months. Pixies, bobs, and other cute styles dry a lot faster than longer waves. If you prefer to keep your overall length, consider getting some layers. For example, if you have thick, dense waves, the Ouidad carve and slice technique can take out some of the bulk of your hair.
- Avoid using slow-drying styling products and swap them out with lighter alternatives. Gels, in particular, take forever to form a cast. If you have a cream-based leave-in underneath your gel, the drying time will increase exponentially. Leave-in sprays, which are light and water-based dry faster than cream-based ones.
- Make sure your hair is thoroughly moisturized before you apply any products. If your hair feels dry, or you don’t have any definition with your daily conditioner, swap it out for a more moisture-rich option. Keep your hair in balance and avoid moisture overload by ensuring the conditioner has a bit of protein in it, and do not use it more than twice a week. After your hair is rinsed, you can then apply your styler and skip the leave-in.
- Do not layer products on your wet hair. Many wavies like to layer a leave-in with gels, creams, and maybe a drop or two of oil. Instead, try a small amount of moisturizing foam as a stand-alone hydrator. It will leave your hair moisturized, and give you a bit of hold as well. Here are a few favorites:
- Carol's Daughter Mirabelle Plum Styling Mousse
- Creme of Nature Argan Oil Style & Shine Foaming Mousse
- CURLS The Green Collection Avocado Hair Mousse
- OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Frizz-Defying Moisture Mousse
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse
- Soultanicals Curl Juice Vegan Hair Mousse
- Scrunch out your hair in the shower. You can do this before or after you have applied product, just make sure that there is a good amount of moisture in your hair. Scrunch thoroughly and slowly, squeezing out water from each section of hair. Scrunch up to your roots.
- Remove as much moisture from your hair as you can with a microfiber towel. Microfiber towels are amazing at not only helping your hair to dry faster, but also in setting your waves. After you have applied your styler, flip your head over and scrunch sections from the ends up to the roots with the towel. You will need to move the towel for each new section to ensure you are working with dry fabric. Flip your head back, and continue scrunching, being careful to not disturb your wave clumps.
What is your favorite way to get your wavy hair to dry faster? Let us know in the comments. Click here for more tips on getting hair to dry faster.