Not all styling products are created equal. Yours don't have to be full of toxic chemicals that will cause your hair even more damage and breakage in the long run. And if you are on a tight budget or prefer to create a homemade concoction tailored to your specific hair and lifestyle, you can make some at home with just a few key ingredients. Don't believe us? These three no-fuss styler recipes will prove it.
Shine Enhancing Mousse
Blogger The Sweet Plantain explains her simple at-home styling mousse. "My homemade hair mousse is full of the hair-nourishing goodness of shea butter, coconut and olive oil, and some fabulous essential oils that promote shine, strengthen hair, kill dandruff causing bacteria, and smell all sorts of wonderful. It's light as air." She suggests using it with a diffuser for full, defined curls all day.
What you need
- 1/2 cup shea butter, warmed slightly to soften
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 20 drops tea tree essential oil
- 40 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the shea butter and coconut oil. Alternately, use a hand mixer and medium mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the essential oils, turn the mixer back on medium-high, and very slowly pour in the olive oil until fully incorporated.
- Keep mixing for about 2 minutes more.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
Frizz Fighting Serum
According to blogger Alex from Body Unburdened, this easy hair castor oil serum recipe is ideal for those with naturally frizzy hair. While she wanted to benefit from the ingredient, she also didn't want the stickiness that comes with it. "I have found that the essential oils dilute out some of the stickiness of the castor oil and I have an easier time applying it." For best results, Alex suggests dipping an old eyeliner angle brush into the serum, dabbing it on your hands, then applying that amount onto your hair by scrunching it in.
What you need
- 2 oz. castor oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil (optional but highly recommended)
- Small glass jar
- Combine all ingredients into a small glass jar.
- Shake gently to incorporate all the oils together.
Charli, a reader on DIY Natural shared this basic recipe for homemade hairspray that won't leave your curly hair crunchy or stiff. Betsy says "I can say with confidence that it’s a flexible hold formula. I was a loyal user of firm hold hairspray for years before trying this formula, now I prefer this to my old sprays."
What you need
- 1 whole orange (for dark hair) or lemon (for light hair), preferably organic (to avoid having pesticides in your hairspray)
- 2 cups distilled or filtered water
- 2-3 tablespoons high proof vodka (or other clear grain alcohol)
- 6-8 drops of lavender essential oil
- Cut a whole orange or lemon into wedges and combine with 2 cups water in a small pot. Boil over medium high heat until liquid is reduced by half.
- Strain liquid through cheesecloth into a measuring cup. If you boiled too much liquid out add water until you have 1 cup. Allow citrus juice to cool.
- Combine alcohol and essential oils in a small bowl, swirl to mix, then add to the cup of citrus juice.
- Use a funnel to pour into a spray bottle with a fine mister and shake to combine ingredients. Shake before each use.