Ayurvedic herbs have long been used in India as a part of a woman’s regimen to ensure strong, healthy hair. Each herb has special properties unique to it and they are all used for different things. They can be used as hair dyes, anti-inflammatory treatments, and growth treatments. They most frequently come in powders or oils.
Henna is the most commonly used ayurvedic herb. This powder is great as a conditioner and cleansing treatment. It normally comes in a powder that is mixed with oil, honey, conditioner, and water. Henna makes hair feel softer and retain moisture easier, and is ideal for dark brown hues.
2. NeemNeem is used in combination with coconut oil in anti-inflammatory treatments for dry and itchy scalps. It is also a cleansing herb for both the scalp and the hair, and sends a healthy dose of protein to hair.
3. BrahmiBrahmi is full of antioxidants and is often used to relieve tension and anxiety, making it a popular treatment for nervous disorders. As a hair treatment, it is often used to alleviate dandruff problems and stimulate follicle growth due to its antioxidants.
4. Aloe veraHere’s an ayurvedic herb you will recognize: aloe vera. It can be used to help stop hair loss while encouraging hair growth. It is also used as a cleanser for the hair and scalp. Aloe vera can also be used in conjunction with other oils as a skin moisturizer.
5. SesameSesame seeds can be used to promote follicle growth while making hair feel soft. They can even be used to dye hair.
6. GooseberryThis commonly used herb thickens and promotes hair growth. It prevents scalp itchiness, hair loss, and dandruff. It can also make hair bouncier and shinier. Use gooseberry alone or in combination with henna to dye hair dark brown. It can be used as a scalp calmer, a hair thickener, and an all natural hair dye plus so much more!
7. ShikakaiShikakai is commonly used with other ayurvedic herbs as an alternative to commercial shampoo. Its herbal properties make it less damaging than most chemical sulfate shampoos.
8. Coconut Oil
In India coconut oil is a ubiquitous treatment for a whole host of hair and beauty issues. Some say this use for coconut oil even originated in India. Women all over the world are now using coconut oil for their hair and skin, but just in case this oil is new to you check out these 8 ways to use coconut oil.