Are you touching, teasing, and twirling your hair, constantly? You might have hand-in-hair syndrome.
Touching, teasing, and twirling your hair, constantly.
Why it matters:
For a curly trying to retain length this can be detrimental to her growth. So if you have ever wondered if your hands and hair get too much quality time then take our fun, quick and easy quiz to determine if they need to see other people.
Do you have it?
1. Ever felt like your hands and hair just had this unbreakable bond so much so that your fingers are always creeping up to twist a coil, pat your fro or just check that it's all still there?
2. Are you constantly styling your hair, even without a mirror? You can't explain it, but there is an uneasy feeling you have that something on your head just isn't quite right so you set off trying to fix it. A sensible natural would wait to get in front of a mirror, but a hand-in-hair curly is happy to do an impromptu style session any and everywhere.
3. Do you find your hands or fingers get pretty greasy throughout the day? Ever left greasy fingerprints on surfaces? Chances are it is because you're subconsciously touching your hair and transferring that shea butter mix you used to seal with onto everything you touch. The proof is in the greasy fingerprints!
4. Is your hair a a security blanket? Feeling a little uneasy on a date, scared about your finals or even just bored do you suddenly need to coil sections of your hair repeatedly?
5. Do you love the feel of hands in your hair even if they aren't your own? Whether its your boo, your hairdresser, or the random stranger who asks to touch your hair do you just love the feeling of fingers to fro?
6. Are you a 'gotta try it all' curly? If there isn't a new hair treatment, raved about product, or new styling tool you haven't tried then maybe you just love to play with your hair. However it is important to note that you may also suffer from Product Junkyism which is a separate curly issue with its own rehab program. The PJ meetings take place here.
If you answered yes to 4 or more of these questions then you probably have hand in hair syndrome. However, this issue is nothing to be ashamed of- after all with hair as fabulous as ours who wouldn't want to touch it all day long. Lastly, if you're looking for more ways to kick the habit then this article is a must-read.