Split ends are pesky little things which lead to breakage, terminal length, and lackluster hair. Here is a quick remedy for trimming yours at home with the eating utensil you probably have from your Chinese takeout the other day.
What you will need:
- 1 chopstick or your finger
- haircutting shears
- clean hair (free of styling product)
Begin by combing your hair down, and ridding it of snarls. Take a one-inch section and wrap it around your finger or chopstick and look for the split ends. Then, with your scissors, cut 1/2 inch of the split ends that are sticking up. Unwrap and begin another section. If done correctly, you should feel an immediate smoothness in your hair once you are done.
Prevent split ends after you tend to them by using a good conditioner frequently and avoiding over-shampooing. Use a deep conditioning treatment or hair mask weekly (or more frequently, depending on the porosity of your hair).
Try this DIY mask after cutting your split ends
- Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and warm them slightly and add one, ripe avocado.
- Apply the mixture to your hair, but not the roots; concentrate on the ends and middle of your hair.
- Twist your hair up into a bun once the mixture is applied and cover your head with a warm towel or shower cap for 30-45 mins.
- Condition your hair afterwards.
- Mix 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoons honey and one egg yolk and apply to middle and ends of hair.
- Allow the mixture to sit on your hair for an hour then wash and condition as usual.
Use these masks 1-2 times a week to lessen your split ends as well as maintain and promote overall healthier hair.