Is it a gel? Is it a conditioner? We tell you what curl creams are, and how to use them.
What is curl cream?
What exactly IS a curl creme? There are certainly lots of them out on there on the shelves today - and they’re made for just about every curl type. Curl creams aide in providing a soft hold and definition to curls. They can often be more nourishing then gels and leave less build up.
They don’t have a “crunch” effect when your hair dries, as some gels and even mousses may leave behind. Curl cremes are a great product to have on hand when you find you need to tame some frizz or if you’re hair feels drier than usual.
For Type 2 curls
For Type 3 curls
For Type 4 curls
- After your shower, section your hair into 3, 4, or 5 sections.
- On wet hair, apply an ample amount of the product to each section.
- Working the creme from the root to the end of the hair. You may want to also leave a little extra on the ends of your hair for some extra “protection” from the elements and split ends.
- Allow your hair to dry naturally, or , use a diffuser and dry 50-60% dry.
- Optional: If you want to experiment by adding a gel with it, do so with your next wash, after you’ve seen how the product works alone.
Our curl cream tips
Use a light moisturizing curl cream as a leave-in when your curls are thirsty. Mix it with a gel that plays well with others for a combination of moisture and curl definition, especially in hot and humid conditions.
Using more of a curl cream in the fall and winter when the air is cooler and drier. Try a heavier curl cream that has both moisturizing and defining properties so that you don’t have to add gel and be concerned about having limp curls.
Make sure the curl cream mixes well with gels or work well by itself. Before covering your whole head and ending up with a crunchy flakey mess, test a smaller section of your hair with the cream and your choice of gel to be sure they work well together. To use a curl cream by itself, look for one that says it defines curls or enhances curls. Sometime curl creams like this are called gel-creams.