You may or may not be too familiar with this all natural oil, but it has some amazing healing benefits for your hair and body. Get to know more about pimento oil, which can be found in your local grocery and natural foods store.
Where it comes from
According to WWW Chem, Pimento oil is extracted from the Pimento tree, a native to the Caribbean and South America. It was first discovered in the 1500s in Jamaica and is also known as allspice in some countries due to its aroma described as a mixture of spices.
How it looks & smells
Pimento oil has a yellow-brown colour with a scent similar to clove oil. Nowadays it is used widely in hair and skin care products due to its medicinal properties. Note: this oil can cause irritation if used in high dosages or concentration, so always mix with a carrier oil when applying topically. Pregnant women should avoid using this oil due to its potency.
The topical benefits
- Hair growth: Pimento extract is an amazing natural oil for hair growth and is included in many scalp oils and products for growth. The oil, when massaged into the scalp stimulates the hair follicles, which then removes the toxins that will stunt hair growth. After using hair products including the oil for about 2 months you should see a difference.
- Alopecia: Many sufferers have turned to using products with pimento oil due to it being a strong antioxidant. Oxidation can lead to tissue damage and pimento oil fights against this and repairs the damage already done so can help to heal alopecia and hair loss.
- Natural pain reliever: If you are a lover of natural medication pimento oil is a great alternative to painkillers. Pimento extract helps to relieve pain externally due to its warming properties, which can help with chest pain, arthritis, bruises, aches and pains.
- Calms the mind and body: When steamed and taken in as a scent like lavender, pimento oil gives of a soothing freshness for the mind and body. It is a tonic for the nervous system and can treat nervousness, depression and fatigue.
- Dry scalp: If you suffer with scalp problems like dandruff, irritation and dry skin pimento oils antiseptic properties help to cleanse the scalp and rid of these problems.
How to use pimento oil
Apply the oil directly to your scalp as a pre-shampoo treatment to loosen up any dirt and product build-up. Gently massage it for a couple of minutes and then rinse and use your shampoo and conditioner as usual.
Try: Sunny Isle Jamaican Strong Roots Organic Pimento Oil with Black Castor Oil, $9.99 (rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Shop.NaturallyCurly.com)