Q: I hear all these things about shampooing. What is the best way to shampoo?
Ouidad: Look for a shampoo that is mild so your hair will be cleansed without being stripped of its natural moisture. A gentle shampoo is one with a low pH (6.8 or less) that is formulated for daily use. Key shampoos to look for are those designed for chemically processed or color-treated hair as they aren't made with abrasive ingredients and won't drab down color. I recommend Ouidad Curl Quencher Shampoo or Ouidad Clear & Gentle Shampoo.
Curly hair tends to be drier, a key culprit to creating frizz and breakage. If you don't shampoo every day, you should still rinse daily with warm water and conditioner to keep hair hydrated and to revive the curl pattern. For extremely curly hair, shampoo only once a week. This hair type is the most delicate and dehydrated, so be sure to use a moisturizing shampoo.
- Saturate your hair with lukewarm water.
- Pour shampoo into your palms and rub your palms together to create a lather.
- Run hands through hair to evenly distribute shampoo.
- Using your fingertips, massage shampoo into the scalp.
- Run your fingers downward to clean and detangle the hair. DON'T pile your hair on top of your head; added tugging and scrubbing leads to breakage.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.