Type 3 - Curly Hair
Type 3 hair includes lightly curly to very curly hair patterns that are well-defined and springy. Curly hair has a lot of body and can be easily styled in its natural state or straightened with a blow-dryer. Despite its appearance, type 3 curls are soft and fine rather than coarse.
Type 3a curls show a definite loopy "S" pattern that is well defined and usually springy. Type 3a curls have a circumference the width of a piece of sidewalk chalk. Generally, this hair type can be easily straightened or retexturized. Type 3a curls are more prone to frizz and losing definition than Type 2 hair.
- Use a pomade for updos or ponytails for light hold that won't weigh the curl down
- Twirl small sections of curls around your finger while hair is still damp to encourage definition
- Choose a daily and cleansing conditioner with rice amino acids
- Rake and shake for natural frizz-free volume and definition throughout
- Taylor Swift
- Annalynne McCord
- Kimberly Perry
Type 3b curls are more voluminous and have a smaller circumference than Type 3a curls--the size of a Sharpie marker. Type 3b hair is not as shiny as Type 3a curls, and the texture can be coarse and dense.
- Use an anti-humectant (humidity blocking) styling cream or styling milk for less frizz but more definition
- Moisturize with lightweight but effective marula or sweet almond oil
- Refresh with a hair milk or spray leave-in to moisturize medium to high porosity curls
- Opt for a sulfate-free cleanser and silicone-free styler to encourage growth, prevent more dirt build-up, and ease the scalp cleansing process
- Anna Shaffer
- Julianna Margulies
- Tae Heckard
- Jasmine Sanders
Type 3c curls resemble tight corkscrews and are approximately the circumference of a pencil or straw. Type 3c hair tends to be higher in density and coarser than type 2 or 3 hair, giving it more volume. Type 3c curls are finer in texture, though packed tightly together on the head.
- Gently enhance and safely stretch without heat using a twist-out, bantu-knot out, flexi rod set, or perm rod set
- Use a medium hold botanical gel that isn't harsh but provides definition
- Do a scalp massage after washing hair for natural volume lift while maintaining even curl pattern throughout
- Deep condition once a week for 30 minutes to retain elasticity and moisture
- Tracee Ellis Ross
- Leela James
- Tessa Thompson
- Jurnee Smollett Bell