Fight the urge to splurge this summer with these warm-weather fitness and nutrition tips.
Backyard barbeques, poolside cocktails, and ice-cream cones are just some of the season's fattening temptations. Fight those urges with these warm-weather fitness and nutrition tips. Then, hit the beach in a a flattering new swimsuit!
- Move It, Move It. If you only have five minutes to spare before going out, make the most of your time. "Do 500 jogs in place for five minutes," recommends celebrity personal trainer Terri Walsh. "It will give your face and skin an overall, healthy glow without getting you too sweaty."
- Eat a Breakfast of Champions. "Begin your day with a protein-rich meal, such as eggs and turkey bacon, to kick start your metabolism and curb sugar cravings throughout the day," suggests Erika Harmon, a nutritionist at Exhale Mind Body Spa.
- Hold Still. "Planks work your core and arms," says Jamie Lugo, an instructor at Pure Yoga. "Plus, it's a great way to get your heart rate up." To do a plank, lie on your stomach, and use your arms to lift yourself into a full push-up position. Make sure to keep your bum down and your body in one long line. Hold it for one minute.
- Shake It. Stephanie Vitorino, the group fitness manager at Equinox Sports Club in West LA, suggests mixing up a delicious protein shake to curb hunger. Blend eight ounces of chilled coconut with ice and one scoop of flavored whey protein powder (try vanilla or chocolate). Enjoy sipping on something sweet, minus the guilt.
- Get Fresh Air. Take advantage of the fair weather by moving your exercise routine outdoors. Stretch your legs at a local park, go biking with friends, or map out a scenic hiking route. Just don't forget to wear sunscreen!
Read More: Best Hair, Body, and Face Oils