Hello, My name is Markisha; however, I love to be called Kish! I am from Detroit, MI but I’m currently a college student residing in Lansing, MI. I am also a dance teacher and choreographer!
My natural hair journey has been an emotional roller-coaster! Initially, I wanted to wear my natural hair because wearing weave just didn’t feel right, physically or emotionally. I felt fake and it itched like crazy! My hair was already color damaged and wearing weave (sew-ins, glue-ins) made it worse. I wanted to be comfortable in my own skin, wearing my own hair (not to mention I was in love with Corinne Bailey Rae’s hair!).
I had just graduated high school and was finding out who I was and who I wanted to be like. The person I wanted to be like was... 'Me’! I tried to fit it in and be like everyone else but it didn’t work. I loved to be like me more.
What are some of your favorite hairstyles?
My signature style is the twist out using perm rods! It lasts me for a week and is very easy to do! I do love rod sets as well!
How would you describe your hair?
I would describe my hair as wild and free! On a serious note, my hair is a mixture of dense, curly, kinky strands that are easy to manage.
What is your hair regimen (including fav products)?
- I rinse/cleanse my scalp once a month with Apple Cider Vinegar
- I co-wash my hair every week with Aussie Moist Conditioner
- I apply SheaMoisture Reconstructing Leave In Conditioner after the co-wash
- I do about 13 to 14 medium twist in my hair using Aloe Vera Gel
- I take down in the morning and pick and fluff until my hair is massively rude! lol
- If my hair appears dry I may rub some coconut oil over it, also for added shine.