Well, summer is coming to an end.
No more late nights and even later mornings. Say good bye to the 4-day weekends. Say goodbye to curls that have been kissed by the sun and enhanced by the ocean water. Yep, it's time for back to school! I am going to help you start the school year off right. Keep reading for the best product recommendations, as well as my quick styling tips, and a link to some upcoming sales for all of the hair products your child's bathroom could hold.
As a salon owner and professional stylist, it seems like every parent always wants to know, "What products should I buy?" and "What styles will last?" My answer: this totally depends on your child's hair type.
Check out my product recommendations, based on curl pattern.
Type 2 Wavy Hair
- Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo,Original Moxie Get Clean! No-Foam Shampoo
- Conditioner: Jessicurl Aloeba Daily Conditioner (No Fragrance), Intelligent Nutrients Pureplenty Density Building Conditioner
- Leave-in conditioner: My HoneyChild Aloe-Vera Light, Up North Naturals Freshen Up Hair Mist
- Styling product: Bounce Curl Light Crème Gel,Surface Firm Hold Mousse
Simple, fast back-to-school styling tips
- Shampoo-and-go: Distribute product through the hair evenly (witheither your fingers or Denman Brush). Bend your head down and scrunch out excess moisture using a microfiber towel or a cotton T-shirt. You can diffuse if you would like.
- Ponytail: Allow your hair to fully dry before pulling it back into a ponytail or updo style (leads to more options on Day 2). I personally do not diffuse but if you need your child's hair to dry before gym class waking up a little earlier,diffusing may speed up the drying process. Once hair is mostly dry, softly finger comb back into a ponytail. Remember touse soft ponytail holders.
- Braid: Follow step 2 upto the drying process and then braid. You may also braid from a wet state to give you more defined waves on Day 2.
Type 3 Curly Hair
- Shampoo: Surface Curls Shampoo,Urbanbella No. 7 Non Lather Cleanser
- Conditioner: Surface Curls Conditioner, Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
- Leave-in conditioner: Obia Curl Hydration Spray, Urbanbella No. 97 Sunflower + Shea Hair Milk
- Styling product: Obia Curl Enhancing Custard, Original Moxie Moisture Gel
Type 4 Coily Hair
- Shampoo: Moisture Love Gentle Embrace Shampoo, Afroveda Egyptian Rose Clean+Soften
- Conditioner: Moisture Love Deep Indulgence Replenishing Conditioner, CurlSmithIntense Deep Treatment Oil Serum
- Leave-in conditioner: Up North Naturals Go-2 Leave In Hair Milk, Original Moxie Heat Wave Reparative Blow Dry Crème (trust me,you can use it as a leave in!)
- Styling product: Afroveda Curl Define, Urbanbella Cre'gel
Simple, fast back-to-school styling tips
- Shampoo-and-go: Divide your child's hair into 4 or more sections. You want to make sure sections are small enough to evenly distribute product through the hair (with fingers or Denman style brush).To give 4c hair a defined pattern finger, styling is the way to go. If you want to dry the hair quickly or enhance certain areas, scrunch out excess moisture using a microfiber towel or t-shirt. You can diffuse to speed up drying time.
- Braid-and-twist: This style can be done on dry or wet hair. Caution, be careful not to put too much tension on your child's edges. You can do this on wet hair by detangling then applying product -- andremembernot toput too much tension on your child's hair. Keep in mind that wet hair stretches, so treat it with care. Proceed with styling. If you want to create this styleon dry hair,apply product thenblow dry on a low heat setting. You may also choose to stretchtheir dryhair. Stretch-dry-wrap several loose twist around the head, like a doobie wrap, and allow hair to fully dry. Proceed with styling.
- Puff ponytails: This cute style looks best ondetangled coils, followed by product applictionand smoothed edges back. You may alsoleave them totally natural (but moisturized). There are quite a few DIY videos on how to achieve amazing puffs. Just remember that too much tension may lead to thin edges so don't pull tight.
Back-to-school sales for textured hair
- Back to School Sale: 23% off site wide. Some exclusions apply. Lasts from 8/9-8/13
- Use coupon code SCHOOL23 at checkout
- Back to School Sale: 20% off your purchase of $60 or more. Some exclusions apply. Lasts from 8/9-8/26
- Use coupon code B2SCURLS at checkout
- Deals on curly hair products, Tools, Makeup and more. Lasts from 8/6-8/26
- Visit this linkfor the coupon information
- Back to School Sale: Buy 2 products get 1 free. You can even mix and match! Lasts from8/10-8/26
- Visit this link to save
Now you are ready for a successful school year! Additionally, your baby will be rocking some beautiful, awesome curls. Check out the sales below.