If you are considering letting your silver strands grow in, there has never been a better time to ditch the dye and rock your glittery crown. Hair color can lay on top of your curls and drag them down, bleach can strip them of their shine and moisture, and the upkeep for both is expensive and time-consuming. It is also both fun and fascinating to watch the transition process from those first few grays to brilliant, beautiful layers of shimmery highlights, to a full head of snowy-white hair. If you need some silver curl inspiration, just take a look at these lovely ladies.
Stunning Silvery Styles
1. Platinum perfection
Shiny, multi-dimensional hues help to enhance gorgeous, healthy curls.
Image source: @naturallyplatinum
2. A crown with crown volume
A stunning mix of curls and waves always looks better in silver.
Image source: @tinaclark687
3. High density halo
Here, type 3 curls are fluffed out for volume, but still retain plenty of sweet silver shine.
Image source: Simone Johnson
4. Harmonious highlights
Mindy’s face-framing natural silver highlights compliment perfect, elegant curls
Image source: @mindy.gale
5. White-hot silver-white
Light, bright, gorgeous hues of silver and white paint these amazing waves.
Image source: @silver_n_curls
My favorite suggestions to bring out the natural tones in silver hair:
While all of the ladies above have their favorite regimens for keeping their hair looking its best, here are a few tips and products that I have culled from the Naturally Curly site and shop, and from around the internet.
- If you need tips on transitioning the healthy way, Curly Girl Method creator, Lorraine Massey, has authored the book Silver Hair: Say Goodbye to the Dye and Let Your Natural Light Shine: A Handbook which is an excellent resource that you can use throughout your transitioning process and beyond.
- Blue or purple shampoos are often used to reduce the brassy tones in silver hair. Many of these shampoos have sulfates and can be very drying. Instead, try DIY blue or purple shampoo that has butterfly pea flowers in it. You can find both recipes here.
- Do an apple cider rinse. Mix 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar into 6 ounces distilled water in a spray bottle. After washing and conditioning your hair, rinse, and then saturate your hair with the water and acv mixture. Let this sit on your hair for five minutes, and then rinse.
- Try the Quick Silver Hair Kit: This kit is comprised of Quick Silver Hair Clay (a mixture of kaolin white clay and essential oils) and Quick Silver Hair Oil (comprised of hair-loving sweet almond, Argan, and jojoba oils along with essential oils). You use them to form a hair masque to apply to the hair. It brightens your silver strands.
Lastly, a word of warning. Avoid using baking soda on your hair and scalp. Baking soda’s high pH level can lead to a very dry scalp and hair. If you want to cleanse your hair and scalp of all its impurities, try an activated charcoal shampoo instead. Three Naturally Curly community favorites are:
- Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-Exfoliating Shampoo
- Koils by Nature Detoxifying MangoMint Conditioner with Activated Charcoal and Moroccan Rhassoul Clay
- HASK Charcoal with Citrus Oil Purifying Shampoo
What are your favorite ways to care for your silver strands? Let us know in the comments. For more silver curl inspiration click here.