Now that you're all grown up, Halloween parties take on a slightly different format.
No longer are you expected to play pretend for the night in ridiculous and somewhat uncomfortable costumes. You are now free to look your best and dance the night away as your favorite character of all time — YOU.
But just because you are no longer dressing up does not mean you can’t keep the Halloween theme alive with your hair. Here are a few curly hairstyles and tips that will help show you how to rock your curls on Halloween night without the ridiculous get-up.
Color Me Halloween
You can never go wrong with a splash of color or bright hair streaks, whether it's from spray dye or glitter.
- Section the hair that you want to color and separate it from the rest of your hair using hair ties to get the look and ensure that your color is even.
- When satisfied with the sections, grab them one by one and color or glitter them. This method allows you to see what your result will be before hand and help you avoid lopsided or overdone hair. Remember you are going for streaks, not all over color.
- Traditional Halloween colors are green, orange and black. Beat others to the store for those colors first, and try alternating color with glitter for a truly unique and unforgettable look.
If you're feeling really bold, you can try an asymmetrical look (à la Nicki Minaj) and dye half your hair or one large section. The best thing is that, come the next day, you can wash your hair and be right back to your normal haired self.
Go BIG or Go Home
Remember the hours on end that you normally spend trying to tame your hair and keep the volume to a minimum? Well, give yourself a break this Halloween and showcase your volume with big curly hairstyles. I’m not just talking width here, I’m also talking about height!
- Use your fingers as combs to lift the roots of your hair or diffuse it during the styling process to your desired height and width.
- Blow dry with a concentrator nozzle to blast your roots for extra height and width.
- Remember to use a heat protectant if you are going to use any heat on your hair to avoid heat damage.
For the brave of heart, try doing a bouffant by gently teasing the hair at your crown for added height.
Halloween looks are often ensembles that you want to get rid of the day after! But just for the night, your hair can be as wild and as crazy as you want it to be with fun and festive clip in pieces. Clip-ins can include colored pieces, feathers and hair ornaments, and you can’t go wrong with black, orange and green.
Why not make your own clip in hair ornaments? All you need are hairpins, transparent beading thread, small and large beads, small Halloween ornaments (bats, pumpkins etc) and a glue gun.
- Tie one end of your string to your hair slide and secure it with a drop of glue.
- Thread beads onto your beading thread until it reaches your desired length.
- Ensure that the last bead on your thread is large, and then tie a knot above your last large bead to prevent your beads from falling off the thread. Cut off the excess thread.
- Place a generate amount of glue on both your ornament and the underside of your large bead, and attach the two to one another.
- Leave it to completely dry for five minutes, and you're finished!
Try mixing and matching your beads and ornaments, and be creative with it. To style your hair with them, simply place the hairpin in your hair as normal.
Get more inspiration form our favorite curly hair Halloween ideas!
So there you have it — fun and festive curly hairstyles to keep Halloween alive without the costumes.
Until then, remember to have love, peace and curly haired bliss!