Volumizing sprays are game changers for curlies with fine, thin, or thinning hair. They can give the appearance of thicker density at the crown, boost the holding power of gels to combat flat roots, and help to add volume to the hair while keeping curls intact. They can be used to add texture and movement, too. Read on for tips, techniques, and products for your best big hair days ever.
Image Source: @megan_a_james
- While some volumizing sprays can be used on both damp and dry hair, to amp up their staying power, use them on slightly damp hair.
- When spraying, focus on the roots of your hair to the mid-shafts and then scrunch upwards.
- A little goes a long way with these sprays, so start by using a couple of spritzes and gradually add more as needed.
- As with other styles, allow volumizing sprays to dry before picking and/or fluffing out your hair.
To boost all-over volume and definition
Image Source: @chloe.chapdelaine
If you are experiencing flat roots, or hair that looks limp, lifeless, and frizzy, the Super Scrunch Method can help get your curls back on track. The steps to do this method are summarized below.
- Work a leave-in into your hair in sections. Ensure your hair is fully detangled.
- Apply a foam, work it in, and then use a Denman brush to help form curl clumps.
- Emulsify 2-3 pumps of gel with 6-8 sprays of volumizing spray between your palms.
- Scrunch this mixture into your hair from the mid-shafts to the roots, scrunching upwards.
- Scrunch your roots with a microfiber towel to remove excess water, wait five minutes, and scrunch your roots again with your hands. This will prevent your roots from drying flat.
To add spot volume
Image Source: @thecurlsuite
If you have a small area of hair that always seems to fall flat no matter what you do, try these steps to give it more body:
- Ensure the section is thoroughly saturated and that your leave-in and styler(s) have been applied.
- Using a duckbill clip, root clip the section on a diagonal, lifting it slightly at the base.
- Spritz the roots with volumizing spray, and then allow them to dry.
Say goodbye to frizz and yes to a volumizing hair spray that is full of hydrating nutrients that your wavy hair will love. This unique blend of red algae, argan oil, and rosemary will increase your hair elasticity and prevent hair from breakage.
UNITE LIQUID Volume (4 oz)
Get volume without added weight with this body-building spray. LIQUID volume lets you fluff out your hair when it starts to fall flat by simply scrunching your roots (and you don’t need to add more product).
Beachy waves, anyone? This curl definer will give you that vacation-worthy look in a bottle. Hair is left texturized, defined, and protected from the elements.
Who doesn’t love a good blowout? This ultra-lightweight mist packs a powerful punch to deliver volume, body, and shine.
Hold and frizz control in one product? Yes, please. This lightweight, flexible hairspray will help provide long lasting hold and infuse hair with shine for your everyday styles.
Take your roots to new heights with this uplifting spray that creates incredible lift and volume. It will give you volume for days without leaving your hair feeling crunchy or stiff.
What are your favorite volumizing sprays? Let us know in the comments. Click here for root clipping tricks to use with your volumizing routine.